Things can be fairly difficult after a car accident. Of course, nobody wishes to be involved in a crash but it can happen in just the blink of an eye with anyone’s fault. Though most people are aware of the basic steps to follow immediately after a crash, they may be too upset to consider many of the less obvious steps that should be taken as well at that time. Here is the step-by-step guide on things to do right after an accident in order to bring your life back on track after a car accident.
1. Check for Injuries: The first thing you should do is to check for any injuries like blood and bruises. Ensure if everything is okay by moving your arms, legs, and head and see if you feel any pain. If possible, try to walk in a straight line to ensure you don’t have any serious brain injury or concussion. If anyone is injured, call on emergency helpline number and ask for an ambulance.
2. Call the police: Apart from calling ambulance personnel, you should also contact the police right away, regardless of any injuries. Wait at the scene of the accident for police arrival and do not leave the place until then.
3. Collect Evidence: Today, almost everyone has a smartphone. Take some photos of the accident scene, the vehicles, and the people involved in the accident. Also, take pictures of anything else that might be relevant about the accident. The most valuable photographs are those taken right after a car accident.
4. Gather Information: Your insurance provider will need the information before accepting your claims such as full names, addresses, and phone numbers of everyone involved in the accident including drivers, passengers, and any witnesses. Also get information about the other vehicles involved, such as license plate numbers, make and model and make a note of that on your phone or on paper. Also, make certain to check the insurance status of all vehicles and individuals involved. If any of the drivers were not the registered owners, find out about their owners as well.
5. File a report: File a report with the police station on the location, detailing the exact occurrence. Request a copy of the report or at the very least the report number. Tell the police if anybody appears to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol when you call for assistance. Also, if you observe the driver of the other vehicle was on his or her phone at the time of the collision, report it to the police.
6. Contact a lawyer: Before contracting an insurance provider, consult with one of the reputed Tampa Car Accident Lawyers for further guidance. However, once you've spoken with an attorney, don't wait to call your insurance company. Also, do not speak with an insurance company representative until you have spoken with an attorney.
So these were few essential steps that should be taken right after an accident. We hope this will help you.